Monday, May 1: No Work, No School, No Selling, No Buying
Rally at Noon in the Pit at UNC-Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC
Tomorrow, May 1, immigrant and workers rights groups across
the country are calling for a nationwide strike and boycott in
support of immigrant amnesty.
We, students, faculty and staff of the University,
We, immigrants, children of immigrants, friends of immigrants,
We will go on strike against injustice and racism, in solidarity
with workers and communities across the country,
Gather tomorrow (Monday) at the Pit on UNC Campus at
noon to make ourselves visible and to show support for cafeteria
workers, housekeepers, and groundskeepers, many of whom
don't have the option of striking without losing their livelihood.
*Come wearing white and bearing noisemakers*.
At 12:30 we'll march through Lenoir to show solidarity
with the workers there.
8 Comments:
Not that I don't support you guys, but NOISEMAKERS? Do you realize that students (that may be immigrants or children of immigrants themselves) have exams at noon? Anytime there is a rally in the Pit it can be heard in surrounding academic buildings. How about a SILENT rally, so as to not ruin a semesters worth of work for students. Show some respect today at noon, please. (Once again, I do support you and your cause...but I am one of those who has an exam at noon in a building near the Pit)
I think your efforts have worked against you.
I have really enjoyed having a day without having to deal with illegal immigrants. Traffic was better. When I went to the store, no one expected me to speak English. You should do this more often. I enjoyed the break.
By the way, anyone who comes here legally and respects OUR cutoms and traditions is more than welcome.
Amy obviously does not realize that her cheap coffee, the eggs she has in the morning and the people who transport the gas more cheaply so she can get to work more comfortably and better fed are immigrants. We are your subsidies and the only reason you can maintain the 'customs' you want us to respect.
Your petty shit problems are nothing compared to the admirable struggle of those who risk their lives to come here illegally only to be kicked down again and be invisible to the society we dream to serve. Shove your bourgois bullshit problems and get a real perspective. Take this 'break' to reflect.
hey amy-
I'm a born and bred middle class white American woman and it is the ignorant, singleminded people like you that I must daily overcome in order to look myself in the mirror. You bring shame upon all of us.
to the rest of you guys out there-
please remember all gringos are not the same.
I really enjoy the fact that the typical reaction to the truth is to say it is ignorant. It's also interesting that you can't say anything without being vulgar.
Illegal immigrants have no skills of value. People here legally could do their jobs better. We wouldn't have to pay so many taxes to give them free healthcare--a huge burden that more than overshadows what little they do for us. Come here legally and I have no problem at all. I love getting to know people from other cultures and walks of life. I'm tired of being abused by a group of criminals. The first thing illegal immigrants did upon entering our country is break the law! There are millions of people here who came from all over the world--legally.
Your struggle is not admirable. It is an offense for which you should be deported back home.
Also, what's with the word "gringo"? It's okay to be that way as long as you're refering to white people. I would never use the "n" word or a derogatory word for Hispanic people or any other group.
Our country would be just as well off without illegal immigrants. You don't make us better. I think you'll be surprised at just how little your stunt accomplished today.
Also, Anonymous, I think it is you who may be ignorant. Here is some information for you:
1. 40% of all workers in L.A. County (L.A. County has 10 million
people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This was because they are predominantly illegal immigrants, working without a green card.
2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.
4. Over 2/3's of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal
alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid for by taxpayers.
5. Nearly 25% of all inmates in Ca lifornia detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.
6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.
7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.
8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
9. 21 radio stations in L.A. are Spanish speaking.
10. In L.A.County 5.1 million people speak English. 3.9 million speak Spanish (10.2 million people in L.A.County).
(All 10 from the Los Angeles Times)
Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops but 29% are on& nbsp; welfare.
http://www.cis.org
Over 70% of the United States annual population growth (and over 90%
of California, Florida, and New York) results from immigration.
The cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 was a NET
(after subtracting taxes immigrants pay) $70 BILLION a year.
Also, remember, the keyword here is illegal. I don't know why these views would cause you not to be able to look in the mirror. What's next? If a bunch of people decide they need better clothes for their family and break into your house, threaten you with a weapon and take your clothes, will that be okay too? Will it be okay because a whole lot of people decided to break the law and do that? It's the same thing. Our laws should be respected. Anyone who doesn't respect them should leave.
I think it's kind of sad that you won't post either of my replies to make it look like I had nothing else to say. I didn't resort to vulgarity or name-calling as others did because the truth speaks for itself and doesn't need such things.
admirable struggle of those who risk their lives to come here illegally only to be kicked down again
??? WTF?Is that like "the admirable struggle" to illegally knock over a bank? Remember, in the words of that rasacally illegal Willie Sutton, Q:"Mr Sutton why do you rob banks?" A:"Because that's where the money is" says Willie. If you ask some Mexican dude, "Why'd you swim the Rio Grande" he'll give you the same answer. "That's where the money is." That is, if he understood English. hahahhahahaha
Post a Comment
<< Home